March 20, 2017
March 20, 2017
- Good morning and welcome to Spring!!! No PTG on Tuesday night due to the Copa Cabana.
- Mass on Friday followed by Town Hall(please get your SK names to Cris by Thursday) & thanks.
- SJND “The Wiz” tomorrow for all grades at 1:45; 8th Grade Field Trip tomorrow.
- School Foodies Lunch for the staff on Wednesday.
- Lesson Plans by 8:00am today and thank you.
- I’d like to introduce this thought provoking piece from the guru of “Differentiated Instruction entitled “Let’s Celebrate Personalization – But Not Too Fast” by Carol Ann Tomlinson in Educational Leadership, March 2017. Tomlinson came to opur district several years ago to introduce her research on DI which I believe had an impact on teachers’ mindset over the past 20 years and students’ achievement. Personalization is a branch on the DI tree. In Vermont where I served as a Superintendent of Schools it is the LAW that every student in grades 6-12 have a PLP(Personalized Learning Plan) which shows a real commitment on not only the relational trust aspect of a personalization but the actual plan part or goal setting. Lots of work for some of the former Principal’s I served and led and their respective staffs to consistently re-visit the PLP but well worth the time. The caveat is that time is a MUST for all of this to happen. I’ll provide Tomlinson’s article in segments for your reflection: In this Educational Leadership article, differentiation guru Carol Ann Tomlinson (University of Virginia/Charlottesville) applauds the ideals of personalized learning. “Personalization is a kind of differentiation – or perhaps multiple kinds,” she says. “The dialogue about personalization gives me hope. On the other hand, it also gives me pause… We don’t yet have much evidence that ‘personalization’ works – or for whom, or under what circumstances.” To get it right, she believes eight questions need to be addressed which will be presented over the next 2 days.
- Technology classes cancelled today due to illness.
- Have a nice day and another full week with your kids and thank you for keeping the bar high. This is the best teaching month of the year so take full advantage. Also…many thanks to ALL who lent a helping hand yesterday at St. Joseph Family Day! God Bless you.