March 19, 2017
Second Grade Home Education
(March 20-24, 2017)
This week's St. Joseph Schoolwide Learning Expectation:
St. Joseph students can work by themselves or in a group.
Important: Please read all notes below!
Dear Students and Parents,
Be sure to return the nightly homework to school the next day in your Home Folder. It will be due then and we will always go over it together. (Late/no homework will result in a yellow card and the loss of a recess to do the homework.)
- This coming weekend is the annual school auction. My "teacher gift" is a trip by ferry over to the Aquarium of the Bay for a tour and then to the Rainforest Cafe for lunch. I will take the top six second grade winning bidders. Please consider bidding on this trip and helping our school in the process! Thank you!
- This week the Safe Environment for Children curriculum will be taught in class. These are diocesan-approved lessons on proper respect for our own body, how to respect others, how to respond if approached by strangers, etc. Please speak with your child about these important topics and help to answer any questions that might be asked.
- I would like to have Math Enrichment games again this Friday, from 1:00-1:45. If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
- We are taking math timed speed tests two-three times weekly. Please ask your child if he/she has passed the first test. (There are five.) If not, please help them study. Blank tests are sent home for that purpose.
- A gentle reminder: Please make sure that all students' hair styles are conforming to the handbook rules. Girls should wear hair in a style that is neat and tidy, and boys should have hair off the ears or collar. Also, please be sure that your child is following the uniform dress code. No leggings are allowed and shoes must be of a certain color and style, etc. Thank you!
- Do not forget to study for the Commonly Misspelled Words test.
Chapter 11: We Act on God's Word
- I can identify actions that show loving service.
- I can give examples of actions that show loving service.
- Safe Environment for Children lessons
Story Unit Concept: "Around the Town"
- daily oral practice/ correcting
- I can understand /o/ spellings and review /i/ spellings.
- blending/dictation/develop oral language
- new story: "In the Money"
- I can use word analysis to understand selection vocabulary.
- I can activate prior knowledge to better understand the selection.
- paragraph writing (continue): I can compare and contrast using facts (trees)
- workshop: names of months and days
- spelling: words with /o/ spellings
Chapter 8: Graphs
- I can interpret a draw conclusions using Venn diagrams.
- I can check my progress.
- I can make a table to solve problems.
- I can represent data in different ways.
- I can identify range and mode.
- timed tests; Math Enrichment games
Rocks and Minerals
- I can compare the physical properties of different kinds of minerals and rocks.
- I can describe the major types of landforms.
- landform test
- "The Wiz" play (in LC)